BOS1 SE Wales
BOS1 SE Wales Fri 28th April – Tue 2nd May 2017
Beautiful scenery, excellent cross country potential and limited controlled airspace make the SE Wales BOS a great comp.
The 2017 competition will be based at Park Farm Campsite, Llangattock, Powys which features showers, washing facilities and caravan hookups. There is room for everyone, though book early to avoid disappointment. Daily briefings, lectures and scoring will all take place at Park Farm Campsite. For those who have an aversion to nights under canvas, there are hotels and B&B facilities situated in the local area.
Local Organiser : Geg Emms
Meet Director : Martin Colclough
Scorer : Phil Chett
Registration. For those who have not registered on this website, or require waypoints to be squirted into their GPS's , Phil will be available at PARK FARM from around 7pm on Thursday 27th April.
1st briefing : Will be at Park farm. 9am friday 28th April.
We'll be served Leek and potato soup to start, and either Chicken and mash or Vegetable lasagna as the main. There is also a bar for buying your own drinks. Anyone not flying in the comp or retrieve driving will be asked to pay £15.
Please could you send Greg Emms an email (email@example.com) or txt (07803169006) letting me know if you'll be attending and if you're bringing anyone else with you. Please also let me know the meal preference of those people in your group.
I've got replies from almost everyone who has registered for BOS1. If you are planning on attending the meal on Sunday, send me your order NOW! There will be no squeezing you in on the evening!
We are checking final permissions, but hope to be able to fly the following sites:
- Abertysswg 5145N 00315W SO141059 Ref. 7.053
- Blorenge 5149N 00303W SO280129 Ref. 7.002
- Ebbw Vale 5145N 00312W SO170060 Ref. 7.163 (do not drive over common, park alongside track and walk to take off)
- Forest Farm 5216N 00333W SO087525
- Malvern 5204N 00220W SO767406 Ref. 4.002
- Merthyr 5143N 00320W SO078036 Ref. 7.094
- Pontlottyn 5144N 00317W SO116051
- Rhigos 5143N 00333W SN926031 Ref. 7.110
The following are not available (lambing restrictions etc.)
- Pandy 5155N 00259W SO319243 Ref. 7.003
- Nant-Y-Moel 5138N 00332W SS944938 Ref 7.104
- Hay Bluff
From the maps there is no EE / Virgin coverage around Llangattock / Crickhowell or the Brecon Beacons, seems to be ok in the valleys and hills however. Vodafone and Three seem to be generally good in SE Wales, but patchy to none in the Brecons. O2 is good.
- Park Farm, Park Drive, Llangattock, Crickhowell, Powys, NP8 1HT, Tel: 01873 812 183
- Take first left as go into Llangattock and follow onto track
Bed & Breakfast
- Park Place Guesthouse, The Legar, Crickhowell, NP8 1HH Tel: 01873 810 878
- Dragon Inn, 47 High Street, Crickhowell, NP8 1BE Tel: 01873 810 362
- Ty Croesco Boutique B&B, The Dardy, Crickhowell, NP8 1PU Tel: 01873 810 573
Rainy Days & Mondays…
There are plenty of attractions and things to do for those rare days when it is not flyable:
Dragon Adventure Gorge Walks
- Rock Climbing, Abseiling, Canoeing, Caving, Raft Building and Canyoning.
- All activities can be half or full day. Prices from £35 per person.
- Llanthony Priory is a ruined monastery with an hotel built among the ruins which serves drinks and ice cream to its many visitors.
There are a number of waterfall walks in the area such as Clydach Gorge.
Windsurfing, sailing and watersports
- Excellent facilities and equipment for hire on a large lake.
- Llandegfedd Reservoir,Coed-y-paen, Pontypool, Gwent
The Brecon Beacons offers some stunning scenery to walk across. Why not take a day to climb the highest peak in South Wales, Pen Y Fan.
Ropes and Adventure
- LLangorse Rope Centre provides indoor climbing, outdoor rope and gorge adventure and also horse riding. Tel: 033 600 20 20
Big Pit is a real coal mine and one of Britain's leading mining museums. With facilities to educate and entertain all ages, it is an exciting and informative day out. Tel: 029 2057 3650 http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/bigpit/visit/
Newly re-opened National Trust Site
|BOS1 Notes.pdf||109.62 KB|